Kiwi Swim Safe is a comprehensive programme supported by Surf Life Saving New Zealand, WaterSafe Auckland and the Halberg Disability Sport Foundation.
It has been developed to give school teachers the necessary skills, knowledge and confidence to deliver a learn to swim, water and beach safety programme that reflects the aquatic requirements of the New Zealand curriculum.
Swimming New Zealand have been helping New Zealand communities for over 100 years, and the Kiwi Swim Safe programme is a natural partnership where saving lives in the water and building stronger communities continues to be the focus of both organisations.
- To ensure every primary school student has access to quality swim and survive education at school
- To develop students’ swimming, water safety, survival and beach safety skills
- To foster safer participation in a range of aquatic environments
- To give school teachers the tools, knowledge and confidence to teach swim and survive skills to students.
The programme is designed in three sections; in the classroom, at the pool and at the beach.
In the classroom - Module 1
- Becoming safer in, on and around water - school, home and community.
- Developing safer behaviours and practices towards water safety through problem solving and critical thinking.
- Classroom based material from WaterSafe Auckland and Aquatic Education New Zealand that supports practical learning.
At the pool - Modules 2-7
- A sequential pool based programme that provides progressions through all stages of learning swimming and survival skills
- These modules are supported by visiting your school and supporting the practical application of swimming and survival skills during your pool sessions, which can be followed up by further visits to your school.
At the beach - Module 8
- Safety at the beach. Participation in one of Surf Life Saving New Zealand's experiential programmes.
- Beach Ed and Surf to School are theoretical and experiential based programmes where students learn about surf and beach safety from experienced life guards.
Swimming New Zealand can provide your school with:
- Programme resources to help you teach your children,
- Kiwi Swim Safe national achievement certificates,
- Ongoing professional development and support for your teachers,
- All support and resources are free for all primary schools.